The Logan River was at the intersection of two major language groups, the Yugambeh to the south and the Jaggera to the north.
Studies by their modern descendants indicate that there were eight family groups within the Yugambeh. Of these, the one which lived closest to the Park Ridge area was the Gugingin.
John Allen (Bullumm) of the neighbouring Wangerriburra clan said the Gugingin lived along the banks of the Logan River. A map drawn by John Lane shows the Logan tribe (Gugingin) slightly west of the Logan River around the Chambers Flat-Park Ridge area, possibly extending into Greenbank.
The Gugingin were expert makers of nets, using fine cone-shaped nets to trap fish and larger nets 15 metres wide to trap kangaroos. Like other families in the region, they moved throughout their territory according to the season.
Excerpts from Logan: Rich in History Young in Spirit – a Comprehensive History by Robyn Buchanan 1999
- The ‘Gandalf Tree’, Logan West’s oldest living tree, was sprouting it’s first shoots. The legendary tree located in North Maclean is still standing proud.
- On August 21st 1826, Captain Patrick Logan explored the river which today bears his name. At that time the Jagera people occupied the region.
- Trigonometrical Survey of Moreton Bay (Rob Dixon – Assistant Surveyor) included areas along the Logan River through Logan West.
- First record of the term ‘Browns Plains’ being used to refer to the area between what is now Park Ridge and Calamvale. Browns Plains was a grazing outpost.
- Cedar cutters were actively working in the Logan West region. Logs were rafted downstream or hauled by bullock teams to rafting grounds where they would be picked up by steamers and taken to sawmills.
- A low bridge was built on Logan River at the crossing known as Logan Bridge (now North/South Maclean) giving transport access between New England (Northern NSW) and Brisbane.
- The Logan Agricultural Reserve was surveyed by Surveyor, Warner, and named Logan Reserve. The Logan Reserve, in it’s original sense, meant about 500,000 acres reserved for agricultural settlement in 1862 and comprised a large settlement and population on the banks of the Logan River.
- The American Civil war led to the rise of a cotton industry in the Logan area, as raw materials were no longer available from America for the cotton gins of England.
- The township of Maclean was surveyed.
Casino-Brisbane Mail Coach included a stop in Browns Plains. The Greenbank Hotel (Meadows Rd) and McGoldrick’s Union Hotel in Maclean, were also used as stops to change horses.
- By the end of the year, all the land along the river had been taken up. Crops included cotton, potatoes, maize, oats and sugar cane.
- Severe drought led the local churches to hold a day of prayer for rain.
Pat McGoldrick licensed to operate the Union Hotel at Maclean.
- Jerry’s Downfall is said to have occurred about this time. It is thought that Jerry was a Kanaka working at the Townsvale cotton Plantation (near Veresdale) who capsized a bullock dray of cotton while crossing Chambers Creek (Munruben).
Timeline courtesy of Logan City Council Libraries (2010) and Park Ridge History Connect
- The Logan River was surveyed as far upstream as Maclean.
- Browns Plains Accommodation House and mail service established by George Stretton.
- Improvements to the navigability of the river were carried out including the removal of an obstruction between the Basin (near Musch Road, Maclean) and Drynan’s ferry at Logan Village.
Wharf built at Maclean (Logan River)
- ‘Bailliere’s Queensland Gazetteer and Road Guide’ 1876, stated: “Logan Reserve is an agricultural district and comprises numerous farms and plantations. Sugar is produced from cane grown by smaller farmers and is manufactured on terms by the mill owners… Farming in all its branches is vigorously carried on – maize, potatoes, pumpkins, fruit and vegetables, milk, butter, cheese, pigs, poultry, eggs, etc.”
- A High bridge was built over the Logan River at Maclean.
Browns Plains Hotel licensed.
- Browns Plains School established on site of Waller Park.
- North Maclean school opened
- Floods: The Logan River was more than a mile wide in places. Biggest flood on record
- Chambers Flat School opened.
- The Greenbank Provisional School opened.
- Park Ridge postal receiving office opened.
- Park Ridge Provisional School opened
- The Park Ridge Mango Grove (disputed origins from late 1800s to 1904)
- First church built in Park Ridge – Methodist Church located opposite the current water tower.
- Divisional Boards became known as Shire Councils
- Browns Plains School closes because of drought.
- A crocodile was shot in the Logan River. It was found floating much later and pulled to shore on June 23rd. One report stated that it measured 12 feet 8 inches.
- Park Ridge Sunday School – timber box of hymn books and New Testaments discovered from 1906
- John and Mabel Cordingley worked the mail run for Logan Reserve, Chambers Flat, Park Ridge and Browns Plains.
- New (Current) site chosen for Park Ridge School.
- The disused Browns Plains School building was relocated to Park Ridge and opened as the new Park Ridge School. The old school at Rosia Rd had been damaged by white ants.
- Local timber getters, S Smith & Sons were established
- Maclean State School built on corner of Beaudesert Rd and Greenbank Rd (Currently used as office for Oasis Landscaping Supplies)
- Oldest known map of Park Ridge
- Park Ridge farmers tried a few seasons of tobacco farming but crops were eventually decimated by blue mould. One of the old tobacco drying sheds is still visible in the bush behind properties on Rosia Rd.
- Park Ridge Cricket Pitch built on flats of Smith property (Now Sycamore Reserve).
- The district was hit by a disastrous cyclone, which some called a tornado, on February 21st.
- Telephone line installed to Browns Plains and Greenbank.
- New concrete bridge built at Maclean.
- Emergency landing fields constructed by RAAF on five sites including Park Ridge at the eastern end of Park Ridge running parallel to Chambers Flat Rd between Bumstead Rd and Park Ridge Rd.
- The Great Flood – Locals describe it as “the flood that wrecked the river”
- Resumptions begin in Greenbank to establish military training area.
- Park Ridge Motorcycle Scrambling Tracks (1940s & 50s) – regional scrambling competitions held on ’The Flat’ at the Smith’s place where the cricket pitch was built.
- Park Ridge Progress Association Hall opened.
- Brownsleigh Post Office opened (Later named Browns Plains).
- Bridge built over Scrubby Creek on Browns Plains Road.
- Park Ridge Cow Girl’, Heather Doran, rides her cow to Park Ridge State School. (See article https://parkridgenews.com.au/park-ridge-cow-girl/)
- Redcomb (later Inghams) poultry processing plant built in Park Ridge
- Beaudesert Shire gazettes old Browns Plains School site as a sanitary reserve and garbage depot (now Waller Park).
- Original timber Park Ridge Baptist Church building opened. Built by Laurie Brown and local volunteers.
- Greenbank telephone exchange opened..
- Browns Plains telephone exchange opened
- Inghams buys Redcomb processing plant at Park Ridge
- Harvey’s Towing established in Logan West. (See full article at https://parkridgenews.com.au/harveys-knights-2/ )
- Water reticulation installed in Browns Plains area.
- Park Ridge water tower built.
- Park Ridge Rural Fire Brigade established
- Serious flood damage to the south-east corner of Queensland occurred on 26 January.
- Browns Plains Tavern opened.
- Milparra Shopping Centre opened in Park Ridge.
- Beaudesert Shire installs small sewerage treatment plant in Browns Plains (Waller Park).
- More serious flooding in the Logan River.