A woman was bitten by a red-belly black snake in the McDonalds car park at Park Ridge on Sunday October 3, 2021.

The snake struck her twice in the foot and she was taken to hospital by ambulance, where she made a full recovery overnight.

It was believed the woman didn’t see the snake and accidentally stepped on it on her way towards the McDonalds entry. 

Southside Snake Services owner Tanzen Lilith arrived at the site shortly after McDonalds called her to attend to the snake.

“Unfortunately, in that time somebody in the car park had run over the snake and it was dead,” she said.

“It all happened so quickly … we don’t know who ran over it in the car park.”

20211003 171402

The red belly black snake was sadly run over and killed by a vehicle in the parking lot before Southside Snake Services arrived.

The staff informed Tanzen there was a woman inside who had been bitten and the ambulance was on its way.

Tanzen took over the snake bite first aid, laid the woman on the ground, and applied a pressure bandage to the site before the ambulance arrived.

“She was released the next morning from hospital, and she’s fine,” she said.

Tanzen was very saddened by the incident and decided not to charge for the service.

“I know McDonalds can afford to pay me, but I was just so saddened by everything, I said ‘look, I’m not even charging today’.”

She hoped the incident would remind others in the area to look where they were going to avoid stepping on snakes.

“At the moment they’re everywhere expected and unexpected,” she said.

Southside Snakes received reports of people in Logan West accidentally stepping on snakes every day.

“It is a very common occurrence,” Tanzen said.

IMG 1438

Tanzen Lilith runs Southside Snake Catchers from Boronia Heights

Her recommendations for preventing snake encounters include:

  • Wearing gloves, closed-in shoes and long pants when working in the garden,
  • Being vigilant and mindful of snakes, particularly during snake season,
  • Keep your yard clear of debris where snakes can hide,
  • Keep ground-cover to a minimum, especially close to swimming pools where people and children swim.
  • Be aware that snakes and other animals could become trapped in swimming pool skimmer boxes.

Tanzen warned that “snake repellers” were ineffective and fraudulent devices which did not work.

“It’s a waste of money, and the dangerous side of it is there’s a false sense of security; rather than being vigilant and paying attention, they’re not paying attention at all,” she said.

Red Belly Black snake bites can cause adverse complications including tissue necrosis and blood clotting, but there have never been any recorded deaths in Australia.

In the event of a snake bite, snake bite first aid should be applied quickly.

“Any movement pumps the venom through the body, so lay them flat on the floor, still and calm – no moving – apply the pressure bandage and call the ambulance,” Tanzen said.

Tanzen southside snake services snake relocation tanzen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: