1907 The First Church in Logan West
While there are records of Congregational and Baptist congregations responding to the requests of locals in Browns Plains and Park Ridge by sending preachers to the area in the 1880s and 1890s, the first dedicated church building in the area was on the hill at Park Ridge around 1906.
Mary Howells, in her history of the western parts of Logan, records, “A one acre allotment was subdivided off the [Cordingley] property in 1907, opposite Talinga Road (sic. Drive). It was held in trust by Joseph Cordingley, George Breedon and James Scarf. This was the locality of the first church in Park Ridge. It was most likely a Church of England, as John and Mabel Cordingley hosted the first Church of England services in their home in Kingston in later years. The church was later burnt down in a bush fire and the property was sold off in 1952.” (Logan Ridges: from Woodridge to Park Ridge)
Life-long local resident, Laurie Brown, recently cleaned out his shed and found a timber box full of old hymn books, New Testaments and Sunday School records stamped with the words, “Park Ridge Sunday School 1906” inside the front covers. The Bibles were printed in 1904. It’s amazing to think that these worn out old books were delivered brand new to Park Ridge more than 100 years ago.
Mary Howells continues, “Religious activities in the western region were limited. In the late 1940s, the Young Men’s League for Bush Children operated a branch of the Postal Youth Movement in the region. In 1949, Mrs Wilson of Greenbank approached the director of the Postal Sunday School, who then asked the Baptist Flying Squad to visit the area. Initially they met at McTaggart’s house, which ironically was adjacent to the site of the first church in the region. They then procured the use of the lunch shed at the Maclean School. By 1955 the group began using the Park Ridge hall.
Barry Nason regularly attended the Park Ridge Sunday School:
My earliest memories would be around 1953, when Don Eagle, Maurie Little and Keith Little started the Sunday School service in the area. They were ex- Air Force men who had served in the Second World War, and they would drive around and use their own vehicles to pick up children and take them to various central localities in the various districts. They would start in the morning at Kingston, then to Chambers Flat and by early afternoon they would be in Park Ridge. They were very well respected men in the community and every year we would have a big Sunday School Christmas Party.”
(Mary Howells, Logan Ridges: from Woodridge to Park Ridge)